The history of Alfonso dates back to the 17th century was then a wilderness, a vast land area covered with thick forest. About that time, there were few pocket settlements that later composed of Sitios Mataywanak, Pajo, Pangasab and Alas-as. The place was formerly part of Lumampong, barrio of Indang and an upland part of Cavite. In time, the settlements grew to the size of barrios. Realizing the needs for accelerated development, Bonifacio Aveo and Felix Del Mundo, two community leaders spearhead a petition requesting the Governor Genereralto make four barrios into separate municipality. The petition was granted and the municipal government was placed in Barrios Alas-as, so named after the Alas-as tree. Legend has its own that the early settlers of the place lived near a rivulet along hick banks were two big sweet bearing fruit trees called Alas-as.
The original name Alas-as lasted for only seventeen years because the Spaniard officially named the town after King Alfonso XII of Spain. Thus, on May 16, 1859, Alfonso became an independent municipality, separate and distinct from Indang. As in other parts of the country, government functions were adopted from Spanish systems. The people were forced to give tributes in cash or in kind, mostly agricultural products. In time and in other abuses the settlers began to see that something was wrong with the administration turn a deaf ear. Towards the end of the 18th century, the Katipunan was organized to fight the spaniars. The organization spread to Batangas, Laguna, Bulacan, Pampanga, Tarlac and Nueva Ecija to rise in arms. Alfonso became one of the major center of the province in the revolutionary activities.
A few days after the Cry of Balintawak on August 26, 1896, Gen. Mariano Trias ordered the liquidation of all the Spaniards in the municipality. A bloody battle ensued. Residents were led by the provident men such as Gen. Hipolito Rint, Captain Eriberto Cetro (Kapitan Berto) and Prudencio Role (Tandang Dicio).